Historical Project Highlights
Below are some past project highlights:
- HD three-camera shoot and live stream of Caltech's 117th Commencement ceremony. View online.
May 2011 Highlights:
- Record GALCIT's Donald E. Coles Lecture in Aerospace for online, DVD, and archival productions. View online.
- Record Professor Anthony Readhead's Watson Lecture, "" for online, DVD, and archival productions.
April 2011 Highlights:
- Record Caltech on iTunes U.," for online, DVD, and archival productions. Available on
- Record Professor Joseph Shepherd's talk, "Crisis at Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant," for online distribution. View website and presentation.
- Record Jennifer Jackson's Watson Lecture, "Good Vibrations Inside the Earth," for online, DVD, and archival productions. Available on Caltech on iTunes U.
- Record the 2011 DuBridge Distinguished Lecture Series by Dr. John P. Holdren, Assistant to the President for Science and Technology, Director of White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, and Co-Chair of the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) for online, DVD, and archival productions. Holdren will be accompanied by renowned scientist and Nobel Laureate Dr. Ahmed Zewail, Linus Pauling Professor of Chemistry and Professor of Physics at Caltech. Dr. Zewail is a member of PCAST and is the United States Science Envoy to the Middle East.
- Support meetings of the Caltech Board of Trustees.
March 2011 Highlights:
- Record and live stream three-day Hubble and Spitzer Fellows Research Symposium in Beckman Institute Auditorium. View talks.
- Install a second camera and six ceiling mounted microphones in Annenberg Auditorium to add coverage to the Echo360 system.
- Record IST4, EST143, and Ge1 with Echo360 Lecture Capture equipment.
- Scan historical Hollywood photographs for Professor Jurca's publication.
- Video conference to Columbia University in the New Media Classroom.
- Record Prof. Kevles' Harris Lecture in Hameetman Auditorium for DVD production.
- Record Jamie Bock's Watson Lecture titled, "Revealing the Cold Universe," in HD for online, DVD, and archival productions.
February 2011 Highlights:
- Record GALCIT Lectures: Distinguished Women in Aeorspace Lecture by Dr. Susan Wu. View website and presentation. Fung Lecture by Professor Huajian Gao. View website and presentation.
," for online, DVD, and archival productions.
- Record annual CEFCU meeting for DVD production.
- Record Mechanical Engineering Faculty Search presentation for DVD production.
- Record GM's "Meet the Volts!" event with presentations by Kent Kresa and Larry Nitz in Annenberg Auditorium with 7 Chevy Volts to test drive. View presentation (Flash plugin required).
- Record Ma2b lecture for DVD production.
- Videoconference Grant Collaboration with Univ. of Washington in the New Media Classroom.
January 2011 Highlights:
- TEDxCaltech video production and live stream support: Record 9-hour event directing 5 cameras and HD-SDI of projected visuals as HD 1280x720/59.94p in conjunction with Touring Video. Produce live stream with Tricaster hardware viewable on the TEDx Ustream channel with over 21,000 unique viewers. Pre-event support included: editing and creating 10 videos on Richard Feynman, TEDx, nanoscience, pre-event teasers (teaser 1, teaser 2), post-event video; provide technical support for complex audiovisual requirements of event. The TEDxCaltech talks are available > youtube.com/Caltech and itunes.caltech.edu.
- Record Stephen Hawking's public lecture in Beckman Auditorium for archival and DVD productions. Provide HD overflow feed to Ramo and two 4 LCD screens outside of the auditorium.
- Kavli Futures Symposium video recording, live stream, and event support. Record 10-hour symposium directing 2 cameras and SDI visuals in conjunction with Touring Video. Produce live stream with Tricaster hardware viewable on Caltech's Ustream channel with over 24,000 unique viewers. Presentations will be available online in the near future.
- Bloom Energy Announcement video recording, live stream, and event support. Record 1.5-hour public announcement on Caltech's athletic field directing 2 cameras in conjunction with Touring Vido. Produce live stream with Tricaster hardware viewable on Caltech's Ustream channel with nearly 4,000 unique viewers. View recorded live stream.
- Record SURF Perpall Finalists' presentations for itunes.caltech.edu.
- Prepare video clips for Prof. Harrison for Ph1b lectures.
- Record faculty search job talks for E&AS division.
- Support meetings for Caltech's Board of Trustees and The Associates.
- Support Jerrold Marsden's Memorial Service in Dabney Lounge.
December 2010 Highlights:
- Creat video celebrating 2010 at Caltech. View video.
- Record and provide live stream of JPL Space Flight Software three-day workshop. View online recordings in JPL folder.
- Support High Energy Physics conference in Baxter Lecture Hall.
November 2010 Highlights:
- Create video thanking Caltech Alumni Fund donors. View video.
- Launch Caltech on iTunes U.
- Record Prof. Krishnan's Watson Lecture, "Re-Creating the Great Fort Tejon Earthquake of 1857," for webcast, DVD, and archival productions.
- Record Caltech's Electrical Engineering Centennial two-day celebration. View event website.
- Presentation to Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Division on Lecture Capture.
- Prepare publication graphics from DVD for Prof. Jurca's upcoming book.
- Record the William & Myrtle Harris Distinguished Lecture in Science and Civilization by Prof. Volkov titled, "Walther Rathenau's Dilemma: Modernity and the Human Soul," for DVD production.
October 2010 Highlights:
- Establish Caltech's Ustream channel for live webcasts > ustream.tv/Caltech
- Record and live stream the Resnick Institute's Inaugural Lecture by Vinod Khosla, "Extrapolating the past vs. inventing the future." [View in three formats: recorded-live Ustream webcast, Silverlight rich-media, and Flash format.]
- Record Prof. Avouac's Watson Lecture, "Rising Mountains and Sinking Oceans: Earthquakes That Shape the Earth," for webcast, DVD, and archival productions.
- Record Prof. Shuki Bruck's Caltech Project for Effective Teaching seminar titled, "The Joy of Teaching," in Annenberg Auditorium. [View webcast, Echo360 Flash format.]
- Create TEDxCaltech teaser 2 video.
- Record and live stream Keck Institute for Space Studies, "Many Suns, Many Worlds: The Galactic Quest for Exoplanets," with introduction by Bill Nye. [View Ustream live recorded webcast]
- Support SURF Seminar Day in 26 classrooms across campus.
September 2010 Highlights:
- Create TEDxCaltech teaser 1 video.
- DV Expo for 3D and HD productions (storyboarding, shooting, editing, and delivery), Photoshop, Soundtrack Pro, and Motion.
- Support 28th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics for E&AS division.
- Demo Cintiq Wacom tablets to E&AS and Chemistry faculty for digital whiteboard collaboration and teaching.
- Support ME105 course videoconference to Saintgits University in India.
- Support APRU videoconference.
Summer 2010 Highlights:
- Record Keck Institute for Space Studies workshop, "The First Billion Years," in Hameetman [view presentations in Flash format]
- Record LMI-EERC workshop, "Fundamental Challenges in Solar Energy Conversion [view webcast in Silverlight format]
- Record Summer Research Connection Semiar Day presentations in Noyes for webcast and DVD productions. [SRC website]
- Support Summer SURF Seminar Day.
- Record Caltech Commencement ceremony for archival, DVD, and webcast productions. [View webcast in Real format.]
- Webcast 4-day AstroInformatics 2010 conference in Hameetman auditorium both live (via UStream) and on-demand. [View webcast in Flash, h.264, MPEG-4, and MP3 formats.] Create conference poster with QR code and Twitter account for backchannel discussions #astroinfo2010. Read Caltech's Engineering & Science magazine article about AstroInformatics.
- Record President Chameau's Town Hall Meeting for DVD and webcast productions. [View webcast in Flash, Silverlight, and h.264 formats.]
May 2010 Highlights:
- Create 14-minute video for Andrew E. Lange public memorial.
- Record "The Future of Observational Cosmology: A Symposium in Memory of Andrew Lange" in Hameetman Auditorium for archival and DVD productions.
- Record Chiara Daraio's Watson Lecture titled, "From Newton’s Cradle to New Materials" for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Record James Michelin Distinguished Visitors Lecture titled, "A Conversation with James Cameron," for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Support the Caltech Alumni Association's 73rd Annual Seminar Day, and recorded the General Session (Distinguished Alumni Awards and Dr. Steven Koonin's lecture, "Solving Hard Problems: Science and Technology at the US Dept. of Energy") for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Videoconference support for HPS/PL 136 (Ethics in Science) to Australia.
- Record Inaugural Frank E. Marble Lecture in Aerospace for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Record Everhart lecutre by Sally Bane titled, "Spark-Ignited Explosions: The Intersection of Chemistry, Fluid Mechanics, and Electrodynamics" for DVD and webcast productions.
- Record Thanos Siapas’s Watson Lecture titled, “Neuronal Mechanisms of Memory Formation,” for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
April 2010 Highlights:
- Record and provided overflow audience feeds for David MacKay's lecture titled, "Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air," in Hameetman Auditorium. Event was sponsored by the Caltech Center for Sustainable Energy Research (CCSER) for archival and webcast productions. View presentation. [Flash format]
- Converted the Athenaeum’s Hale Suite into a video recording facility for one-on-one interviews of participants of the California STEM (Science * Technology * Engineering * Mathematics) Innovation Network Summit.
- Record Brian Wernicke's Watson Lecture titled, "The Ancient California River and How it Carved Grand Canyon in the Age of T. Rex," for webcast, DVD, and archival productions.
- Recorded Caltech Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Task Force Forum in Beckman Auditorium for DVD and webcast productions. View presentations [Formats: Silverlight, Mac and Windows only; Flash, Linux, Mac, and Windows].
- Record Marcos Nahmad's Everhart Lecture titled, "Establishing Cellular Positional Information through Gradient Dynamics in the Developing Fruit Fly," in Hameetman Auditorium for DVD and webcast productions.
March 2010 Highlights:
- Record and live stream (UStream's NASAJPL channel) audio, video, and text chat of KISS's "Modern Methods of Observing Earthquakes," panel of presentations in Beckman Auditorium. AMT also moderated the chat stream, culling questions from the online audience that were then asked of the panel during Q&A. Live stream was also viewable on mobile devices and smartphones. View Flash video.
- Launch Echo360 pilot project (funded by Caltech's Innovation in Education Fund <PDF>) that automatically records a lecture's video, audio, and VGA as Rich Media Flash, H.264, and MP3 formats. Recordings are automatically published to- iTunes U, Moodle (Course Management System), RSS feed- and are emailed to TAs and the professor. View the first IST 4 recording.
- Record and provide event support for the Warren and Katharine Schlinger Laboratory for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Dedication for webcast, archival, and DVD productions. With Office of Communications, create the video shown on the lobby's 50-inch LCD display, highlighting each research group and time-lapsed construction.
- Tour JPL's recently upgraded high-def production studio and facilities.
- Training on Classroom Response Systems (Clickers) for Prof. Shuki Bruck's IST4 course.
- Record KISS public lecture by Prof. Gizon titled, "Seismology of the Sun and Stars," for webcast production. More info.
- Create a 45-minute DVD video and slideshow for Caltech's Gnome Club Founders Night event at the Athenaeum. Content highlights the club's history, recent social events, and a member who just celebrated her 100th birthday.
- Record Everhart Lecture by Matthew Eichenfield, "The Interaction of Light and Sound at Frontiers of Nanotechnology and Quantum Mechanics," in Hameetman Auditorium for DVD and webcast productions.
February 2010 Highlights:
- Record presentations at KISS workshop, "Quantifying the Sources and Sinks of Atmospheric CO2," for webcast production.
- Record Professor Elizabeth Loftus's William and Myrtle Harris Distinguished Lecture in Science and Civilization, "Manufacturing Memories," in Hameetman Auditorium for DVD and webcast productions.
- Design and install new projector and sound system in new seminar room for Keck Institute for Space Studies (KISS).
- Record Professor Ares Rosakis's," in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions. View recordings.
- Record the DuBridge Distinguished Visitor Lecture, "A Conversation with Anne Mulcahy," in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions. More info.
- iApp training at UC Irvine for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad applications.
January 2010 Highlights:
- Provide streaming media support for presentations in Second Life by 2006 Nobel Laureate in Physics, John Mather. More info.
- Record and support the Linde + Robinson Wall Breaking for the transformation of the historic Robinson Astrophysics building to the new Linde + Robinson Laboratory housing the Ronald and Maxine Linde Center for Global Environmental Science. The renovation will result in the most energy-efficient science lab and the first LEED Platinum–rated lab in a historic building. Learn more.
- Record Professor Jacqueline BartonDNA-Mediated Signaling," in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Record two-day Keck Institute for Space Studies Workshop, "Single Photon Counting Detectors," in Hameetman Auditorium.
- Record Anne Mulcahy DuBridge Distinguished Visitor Lecture in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions. View event's website.
- Record Professor Harvey NewmanPhysics at the Large Hadron Collider: A New Window on Matter, Spacetime and the Universe," in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Record SURF Perpall Speaking Competition final presentations.
- Encode underwater research video for upcoming online issue of Engineering & Science magazine. View E&S's website.
- Support Chemistry 1b core class with new classroom technology tools.
- Support Ken Kragen's Caltech Management Association's presentation, titled, "Accomplishing the Impossible: Stories of Historic Humanitarian Efforts." View event's website.
December 2009 Highlights:
- Visit Loyola Marymount University's Hannon Library to evaluate their installation of 14 classrooms equipped with Echo360 Lecture Capture systems. Tour their impressive Faculty Innovation Center (FIC)- a space for faculty to experiment with education technology tools to implement in their department's teaching spaces.
- Provide Flash media of an excerpt of Professor Shuki Bruck's IST 101 lecture for Caltech Web Lab's feature, The Book of Bruck.
- Record Professor Elliott Sober'sWilliam and Myrtle Harris Distinguished Lecture in Science and Civilization, "Did Darwin Write the Origin of Species Backwards?" in Hameetman Auditorium for DVD production.
- Record Professor Jean-Laurent RosenthalRemembrance of Financial Crises Past," in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
November 2009 Highlights:
- Create an online slideshow for Development and Institute Relations Alumni Fund thanking donors for their 2009 giving. View slideshow.
- Record "Challenging the Paradigm: The Legacy of Galileo" Keck Institute for Space Studies Symposium in Hameetman Auditorium and support overflow rooms with AMT's portable videoconference system. Visit the Symposium's website with video links of the presentations [Flash format].
- Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) HD videoconference in the New Media Classroom with 15 universities participating, including: Australian National University, National Autonomous University of Mexico, National University of Singapore, Peking University, Tecnologico de Monterrey, University of Indonesia, University of Malaya, University of Oregon, University of Hong Kong, University of Southern California, University of Sydney, and Zhejiang University.
- Record "Energy and Other Sustainability Challenges" Symposium on Sustainability, including a lecture by Steve Koonin, Undersecretary for Science at the U.S. Department of Energy, in Ramo Auditorium. This symposium is part of the Association of Marshall Scholars Reunion event. View webcast [RealMedia format].
- Videoconferencing to University of Washington for research collaboration in the New Media Classroom.
- Record Professor ," in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Two-day live streaming and recording of JPL's 2009 Workshop on Spacecraft Flight Software in Cahill's Hameetman Auditorium. Visit Workshop's website. Visit presentation catalog to view recordings- Silverlight plugin required.
- Videoconferencing to Guatemala University de Landivar for Prof. Ken Pickar's E/ME 105 course "Design for the Developing World" in the New Media Classroom. Read student's blog entry about taking this class.
October 2009 Highlights:
- Audio and video record Walter and Leonore Annenberg Center for Information Science and Technology building's dedication ceremony and symposium. View Dedication website.
- Support GALCIT's Klein lecture by Caltech alumnus and astronaut Gregory Chamitoff, "Living & Working on the ISS" in Beckman Institute Auditorium. Download PDF flyer of event.
- Support > 250 undergraduate giving presentations about their summer research at SURF Seminar Day. Visit SURF's website.
- Record Law 134 lectures in Baxter Lecture Hall.
- Record Professor Chris Martin's Watson Lecture, "Exploring the Ultraviolet Universe," in Beckman Auditorium for archival, DVD, and webcast productions.
- Install a new projector in Baxter Lecture Hall.
- HD videoconference HSS thesis defense with (EPFL) Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Laussanne, Switzerland in the New Media Classroom.
- Record EST 199 lectures in the New Media Classroom this morning. Visit course website with webcast links.
- Videoconferencing to Guatemala University de Landivar for Prof. Ken Pickar's E/ME 105 course "Design for the Developing World" in the New Media Classroom. Visit course website.
September 2009 Highlights:
- Support and host Caltech's new DOE Energy Frontier Research Center meeting in the New Media Classroom for an all-day workshop. Recorded presentations as webcasts. View webcast of Prof. Atwater's opening talk- Silverlight plugin required.
- Test EVO online collaboration tool in tandem with HD videoconference system and H.263 teleconference phone bridge in New Media Classroom. View webcast of EVO demo- Silverlight plugin required.
- Record Caltech's Convocation 2009 presentations by Professors Jacqueline Barton, Jean-Lou Chameau, and Anneila Sargent in Beckman Auditorium.
- Purchase new Zoom H4N digital audio recorder. Equipment is used in AMT's acoustically-treated audio recording booth.
- HD videoconference (via ISDN bridge) in the New Media Classroom to Melbourne, Australia, topic: Game Theory.
- Record and support KISS Symposium: "California as Seen from Space: Delivering Actionable Science" in Beckman Institute Auditorium. Visit Symposium's website.
- Record and support Alumni College: "Space Science at Caltech," in Cahill's Hameetman Auditorium. View Professors Ingersoll and Stone's online presentations- RealPlayer software required.
- Record KISS Workshop talks in Beckman Institute Auditorium for webcasting. Topic: Climate Feedbacks and Future Remote Sensing Observation. Visit Workshop's website.
- Support Caltech's Board of Trustees events on campus.